As Chairman Mao famously said “we live in interesting times”.
Millions of people live in daily dread of redundancy, working longer & longer hours to appease the boss in an effort to avoid the dreaded 90 days notice interview and ultimate dismissal. I know, I’ve been there once or twice myself and it sucks!
However, there is an alternative, and that redundancy payment can provide a great springboard to a new successful and rewarding career.
Any professional person with a skill to sell can start their own consultancy business but it does need a set of personal attributes which not everyone has:-
- Persistence – you will need this in abundance to generate leads and pursue opportunities.
- Flexibility – are you willing to travel or work away from home.
- Pick up things quickly – can you hit the ground running & “add value” from the start of any assignment.
- Positive Outlook – do you let things grind you down or do you react by seeking solutions to problems.
- Uncertainty – can you live with not knowing what you will be doing in 3 months ?
- Outgoing personality – if you can get on with people from different backgrounds & talk to the cleaner as well as the CEO you will do well, if you are a shrinking violet who prefers staring at a computer screen all day you will fail.
- Embrace Change – if you love ding different things in different places you will thrive. If you prefer the routine then consultancy is not for you.
For more practical advice on starting your own consultancy look out for my next post.
Extracts from my future book ” Start your own Consultancy….now!”