You must be doing something really important eh ? running around like a headless chicken all day putting those fires out. You haven’t got time to think about future products because your far too busy fixing the current ones!
But hang on a minute……if your not focusing on those future products where is your future revenue coming from when all the old ones become obsolete?
How do you escape this vicious circle ?
- Keep a timesheet to find out how much time you spend fire fighting & how much on future products.
- You will probably find it’s 80/20
- To turn this around you need to gradually increase the time you spend on future product development to 80%
- Resist the urge to persist in fire fighting.
- As time progresses the time you spend on fire fighting will decrease because you have put more effort into your future product development, getting it right first time and minimising the need for fire fighting.
so, are you a headless chicken ?