Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement as Manager of Manchester United today, after 26 years in the job. No matter who you support there is no doubt that Sir Alex is the most successful club Manager ever. Here are some things he taught us:-
- Everyone loves a winner – even if that admiration is expressed as jealousy, to win is to succeed.
- Age is no barrier – Sir Alex is 71 & is retiring 6 years older than the “official” retirement age.
- Background is no barrier to success – he had a tough upbringing in Govan, Glasgow & some would say that was to his benefit.
- He evolved – adapting his Management skills to a changing environment.
- It’s OK to lose your temper occasionally – it demonstrates passion.
- He treats everyone as an individual – recognizing that everyone is different.
- He created winning Teams – developing a unifying winning culture.
- He was fearless – willing to take on anyone who disagreed with him.
- He was Ruthless – never scared to drop fans favorite players if they stepped out of line.
Good Luck Sir Alex.